28 January 2010

Buddhist Philosophy

Written 2nd Jan 2010

Buddhist thought has been part of my life for more than 3 years now so I was excited to discover ways to connect my philosophical approach to life with 'The Improbable Dream'. As mentioned in the last blog, I am following an excellent blog and podcast titled 'Zen and the Art of Triathlon' (ZenTri).I dont know much about Zen Buddhism so a few recent podcasts from ZenTri helped me to connect all three of the above ie my goals, my 'buddhism' and Zen Buddhism
Here's a few random thoughts -
1. The journey IS the point. Completing challenges and achieving goals is fun, yet their only really purpose is to give me some indication of where I am at, at that point in time. The Improbable Dream is a lifelong journey of making the right daily choices/ decisions, accepting the daily challenges and making constant progress. Its about Life Itself. The races and events dont make me a Distance Athlete, my daily choices do. I need to live, love and deeply experience the daily journey. I should live for now. And make the life decisions befitting a distance athlete.
2. Life is inter-connected. Everything we do is related to other parts of life. Likewise, Endurace training is a jigsaw where everything I do impacts on my results. It requires the correct balance of aerobic endurance, core body strength and a focused sensible regime of diet,rest and recuperation. It requires consistency and good decision making about life choices. It about inter-dependance.
3. 'Think like an athlete, Become an athlete'- Buddhism says we create our own world. We dont become an athlete by competing in one, two or twenty events, we become an athlete by making the right decisions each day. Zen wisdom says "Do, or dont do. There is no 'try'." Kinda like 'Just Do It'
4. A Simple life is a Pure Life- Although there are many inter-related parts to the equation, a simple life is the most pure life. I need to constantly consider how to simplify my life to its most pure form. A good starting point is to ONLY focus on the important things in life, and clear my mind of the unneccesary clutter, the 'noise'. Meditation is good, as is long training hours with only my own mind as company. Think less, feel more, experience life right now!
4. Life is REAL - The way life is now is REALITY. Pehaps it could be better in some way and it most certainly could be worse. Perhaps I could have done things differently in the past - too late, the past is a different life. So live for now, try not to be negatively influenced by things that have happened in the past, try to understand where I am at, dont demand of 'now' more than it can give- Celebrate life by enjoying 'now, enjoy the moment.

All good thoughts to keep me motivated into the future.I want to lead a simple, aware, inter-connected life. These thoughts will help too-
1. Dont complain about the equipment- Lance Armstrong could get on my bike and ride a much faster time. My times are influenced by what I do, not what I have.
2. Accept the results- Good or bad, they were the result as at a moment in time. Give it my best, learn the lessons then move on.
3. Compete with no-one except my self- This is not about being the best in the world, its about being the best I can be. Challenge myself.

When I bring these things into my life, I will be a 'Soul Athlete' (to use Zen Tri's term.) which sounds even better than a 'Triathlete' or a 'Distance Athlete'

Cool!

More later, journey on!

Word Count - 582

No comments:

Post a Comment