23 September 2010

Staying focused with three weeks to go


With my motivation back in place and with only three weeks to go until we leave for Melbourne and the 'Around the Bay in Day' bike ride, my training is back on in earnest.

Last week I had some great rides around Goondiwindi and Tara during the week (flat, fast, long country roads) and backed it up with some really nice afternoon runs. This is a nice photo I took whilst running along the McIntyre River at Goondiwindi at sunset. Scenes such as this one make it easy to get outside and exercise.

I finished the week with a very pleasing 120km bike ride on Sunday morning- I finished strongly and pulled up well, so I was happy. Finished the rolling hill course without stopping at an average of 24kph. A good 4.5 hour workout.

I'm certainly getting fitter but I'm still finding it hard to self-coach. I'm sure I've wasted some time due to some bad decisions. Still, a key part of this journey is learning and self discovery, so its a fair trade off.

Speaking of self-coaching, I recently read that its important to make sure every training session has a clearly defined outcome. I agree, but actually think I need more than this - I need every day to be specifically targeted to a defined outcome.

With that in mind, I have developed four broad outcomes for what I'm currently trying to achieve and I keep them in mind throughout the day, and during exercise. Each outcomes has a specific goals attached to it. But rather than go through each specific goal consistently, I just constantly remember and repeat -

Fitter
Faster
Longer
Leaner

Each word has a specific outcome and specific goals. Each word means something to me, and what I am trying to achieve. Its a great way for me to stay focused - both during the day, and during exercise.

More later, journey on

James



Words Count - unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment