04 July 2010

First goal for the year successfully completed

Today I finished my first true distance event and I'm proud to say.. I nailed it! I can now say, for the rest of my life that I am a half-marathoner. In my first event I ran the whole way, I beat my 'hoped for' time by 15 minutes and my 'expected' time by 25 minutes. It's awesome to be able to say I ran the whole way... I really am a half-marathoner now.

I ran the 21kms in 2:15:19, a LOT faster than my 'hope for' time of 2 hours 30 (see blog 8th June)and I am beside myself with excitement. I am soooo pumped.

It's an amazing feeling to train for so long and with a heap of determination and consistency, to set - and also state- a very specific goal, to put myself out there via this blog, to have a go and then, to nail it!!

It feels great. I started this journey asking 'Can a fat and unfit 50 y.o. - with a poor lifestyle and no sporting ability - turn himself into a Distance Athlete?'. At the moment it seems the answer is a resounding YES!!.....Perhaps its not such an Improbable Dream after all.

Tomorrow, when I've had a chance to rest and reflect I'll tell you about the race, and the lessons I learnt. For now though, I think I'll just enjoy the experience of finally being a successful half-marathoner. :-)

By the way, thanks for all your feedback via phone and email. If you want to leave a message on my blog, click on the 'envelope' symbol at the bottom of the post. Thanks!

More later, journey on.....
James




Word Count- unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment