24 June 2010

Child-like excitement has set in.

Only a couple of days of training to go before attempting the first organised events in my new life. The Gold Coast 1/2 Marathon is on Sunday week while this Sunday it's the 50k Brisbane to the Bay Cycle Ride.

It will be my second go at the B2B - it's a good-fun, short and sharp, rolling-hill course so I'm EXCITED.

I haven't done much bike riding lately. Most of my training recently has been focused on running, for a number of reasons. One, I changed my running style to avoid injury. I changed from heal strike to pad strike and this took some time to learn. Two, as I've detailed previously, my running fitness was low and I had to learn to 'run long' - again, this took some time. My constant recent travel has taken me away from my bike so often my only option has been to run. Lastly, I got a new bike (Thanks Aaron - I'll tell you all the story later) and its taken a while to get it set up correctly.

Anyway all this means I expected to do the ride with a low level of bike fitness. This was a good plan until I started getting really nervous earlier today. What if I cant finish? What if I undermine my own confidence regarding my fitness with only one week to the 1/2 marathon? What if..what if... what if...

End result is I decided to get off my bum and do the fast training ride I had scheduled for yesterday. I chose a flat-ish, fast circuit along the waterfront near where I live and set out to see what happens.

I did just under 40kms, quite fast and finished with plenty left in me. A few short rest periods, a lot of long fast sections, and a few 'cruisings'. At the end, a little sore in the feet (new shoes /pedals will take a while to settle into) and my legs were un-comfortably tired - it has been a few hard days for my legs so not suprising! I do tend to expect a lot from them. Overall I felt strong and quite fresh.

I achieved an average of +25kph despite a) a brisk headwind 2) tired legs and 3)the fact I'm still learning the new bike/ new gear changer/ different brakes.

I'm very very pleased. I now expect to do even better on Sunday when hopefully I'm more rested, there's less breeze and there's people around for me to draft.

Come to think of it, I'm more than pleased - I'm PUMPED! Yes, I know- Despite today's ride only being a short 40kms there were still periods when I had to slow down and rest but that's OK, no need to worry - once I start focusing on bike training I'm sure my results will improve dramatically. For now I think I'll just enjoy the good parts of today, especially....

Along the waterfront in a flat, short, protected (ie no wind) area, on a fast new bike, in the aero position on my tri bars, I very quickly got up to 47kph - thanks to my legs and my lungs. Awesome!!!!!!! Starting to scare myself. I think my fitness might be starting to exceed my riding ability haha :-)

Anyway, I guess all this means I'm as ready as I'm going to be. So now its time to test myself in some organised events.

What will happen? I dont know, but let's find out.

I'm so EXCITED!!!!. I'm like a kid again. An excited child.

Great for me, but for anyone who knows me..... Spare a thought for Shirl. Poor thing. :-)

More later, journey on.....
James




Word count - unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment