08 June 2010

Only 26 Days to go and still plenty to do.

On Sunday the 4th of July I am running my first half marathon. I've been working towards this since before Christmas and now its almost here. My first real endurance event! I'm excited about it and also nervous. I know I wont be fit enough to run the whole way but I'm much fitter than ever before so I will be happy enough if I complete the whole 21kms within the required 3 hours.

And I'll be absolutely thrilled if I can complete it in 2.5 hours (150 minutes.) Wish me luck.....and stay tuned.

I still have four weeks/weekend to finish my training. I want to 'peak' at the right time so I'm training twice a day most days and running/ fast walking 10kms nearly every day. When not running, I'm working on my fitness by cross-training on the road bike, the stationary bike, rower and stepper or by putting in some short, sharp weight sessions.

And just to make it harder for myself, the weekend before the race, again on a Sunday morning, I've entered the 'Brisbane to the Bay' 50km bike ride. Its a hilly and fast course so it'll not only be a good training session,it will also show me where my bike riding, and my overall aerobic fitness, is at.

And in the week between the bike ride and the 1/2 marathon I'm travelling through Far West Queensland staying in a diffent town every night and spending long days driving and working. This will present challenges for me in terms of diet and rest. I've planned it as a 'taper' week of minimal running so it should be OK. Actually, it'll also be my first ever 'taper' so I'm looking forward to learning how it's done. I am nervous about it though. Self coaching is hard.

It'll be a busy, and challenging month, I'll let you know how it goes.

More later,journey on......

James




Word Count - unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment