12 April 2010

An awesome workout around Wilberforce NSW


Country Roads of Wilberforce

Written Sat 3rd April 2010

Inspired by Dr Bil and the confirmation of Around the Bay in a Day (see previous post) today was a great day of exercise. An amazingly supportive wife and some wonderfully gracious friends meant I was in western Sydney with a whole morning off from family and holiday duties. So with visions of the challenges ahead, I went for a long run/hike. I had an absolute ball – It’s a beautiful place and a great way to spend an autumn Saturday morning.

I knew I was lucky to have the time available so I was determined to use it effectively. I pulled on the running shoes and hit the country roads around the historic town of Wilberforce. It was a beautiful clear cool morning, I had some great podcasts and plenty of music to listen to, and I was determined to train hard. I ran/hiked for 2 ¾ hour from the centre of Windsor to Wilberforce then on to Ebenezer and back to Wilberforce. It was good country but a few too many cars on the narrow country roads for comfort.

I used a fartlek style i.e. run for 2 songs, walk for one for a while then one song/run followed by one song/walk. After a while I just walked fast and enjoyed the view while still throwing in some random runs.

It felt fantastic. Tiring yet powerful. Interestingly, during the run sessions my lungs were hurting and telling me to stop but later in the day it’s the quads that were sore. I look forward to the day when my lungs no longer let me down and I can work on just strengthening my legs.

I’m really thankful for my friends and family to give me ‘the morning off’ from holiday duties. I used the time well, trained hard, enjoyed the sights and sounds and had a ball. I love this journey!

More later, journey on
James





Word Count - 312

No comments:

Post a Comment