11 April 2010

An unexpected bonus

Written Sat 3rd April 2010

My thoughtful and generous Brother-In-Law (B.I.L.) - a country doctor from Victoria nicknamed Doctor Bil (hehe get it?)- heard of my desire to complete the Melbourne ‘Around The Bay In A Day’ (ATBIAD) bike challenge on the 17th October this year. And he knew I was travelling through NSW at the critical time of registration so he rang and asked if I would like to ride it with him and his mates, and then was kind enough to go to the trouble of registering me. What a awesome gesture – I get my registration successfully handled for me, and I get to ride at least part of the day with him.

So I’m now committed; I’m booked into the 25-30 kph group, and Dr Bil expects me to achieve a +27kph average for the 220kms. This is longer and faster than I’m currently riding so I’ve got some work to do before September.

But not yet. First on my calendar is the Gold Coast Half Marathon on Sunday July 4 (a 21km run) and then the Bridge to Brisbane 10km fun run on Sunday 29th August. I’ve also got some bike training runs scheduled to help my cause, including the annual Brissie to the Bay and a 10 day Queensland Big Ride in September.

I am excited about the ATBIAD challenge but even more excited and pleased about Dr Bil involving me in his plans. He’s been my brother-in-law for many years but we’ve never really done much together so it’s good to finally do something. As an added bonus, he’s done the ride before so his guidance and advice will be welcomed. I am excited and thrilled he’s taken the initiative. Thanks Dr Bil!

Another mate has been on the blower too. My mate from Wynnum Manly, now called The Very Manly Mate is planning to run this year’s 10km Bridge-to-Brisbane in less than 50 minutes so I probably need to go along with him, just to keep him honest. This means I now also have to get myself fit enough to run this pace, consistently.

It’s great to have some very clear goals. I’m pretty sure I can achieve 10k’s in 50 minutes at the Bridge to Brisbane (average 12kph) and probably a bit slower for my first ½ marathon - I‘m aiming to run/walk the distance in 150 minutes (average 8.5kph including walking). And now I have to get myself to a long distance 27 average kph on the bike by October.

But more than goal setting, the involvement of others in my plans is a lovely unexpected bonus. The journey is a private effort with many hours spent training on my own (See Training Principles 10). So for others to suggest I be involved with their goals and share it with them is very exciting. I will still approach the goals in a private way but I will look forward to sharing the road with them. It’ll be a buzz, and make each event more memorable.

So the target for the next few month is set. First, I’ll run/walk the ½ marathon in 2hrs 15min, then run the Bridge to Brisbane in 50 mins and finally ride the ATBIAD at an average of >27kph.

I’ve got the targets, I got the plan, now it’s time to put my head down and bum up, and get into some serious base training. I can’t let down Dr Bil and The Very Manly Mate, can I.

So I’m committed and ready for the challenge. And frankly, I’m excited - this will be a challenging and interesting journey, shared and enjoyed with some great people. And its unexpected so its a real bonus to the adventure, and for me.

More later, journey on
James




Word Count - 615

No comments:

Post a Comment