20 April 2010

Self Coaching is difficult- but who cares?

Written Tuesday 6th April 2010

Self coaching - A seemingly continuous choice of conflicting approaches, and I reckon, a damn hard thing to do! It seems the more I read, the more I reflect and the more I try to find the best path forward, the more the contradictions emerge.

Our family Easter holiday through NSW continues. In planning the trip I realised I would have no opportunity to bike and gym so I figured it was a great opportunity to work on my running fitness, an opportunity to go from walk/run to run/walk. But now that I’m doing it, I’m thinking; How much improvement can I really achieve in one week? What is my real ‘current’ position of running fitness against my current ‘comfortable’ position? Sometimes when I run I struggle to put together a short run and at other times it feels like I can run for miles. I just can’t really decide where I really am at.

I read recently that we should not give up when training but to push yourself further and further. But I also read that it’s important to start gradually, train gently, not do too much too soon, and to not over-train or over-strain – it’s important to give your body time to catch up to the new demands being placed on it. So my challenge, as a self-coach, is to balance these competing thoughts and to find a way to constantly improve.

In the end I think it comes down to listening to my body. Today worked well. I’m in Wagga visiting my Mum and Dad so I went for a late afternoon run/walk around Lake Albert. It was one of those days when I felt really strong and I achieved a run time of 35 minutes over the total 47 minutes of exercise. Pleasing – not great, nowhere need where I need to be for the ½ marathon in 89 days but better than before so I’m happy. It was a great run and made me yearn for the day when I can run the whole distance in total comfort. Today it seemed that goal was not too far away. So I need to work out how much I can do, do it and make sure I reach my potential.

But strangely, today these things didn’t matter. It was just great to get outside and run in a different location. I was very motivated, I felt strong and I very much appreciated the beauty of the run. It was lovely; Late afternoon, overcast with some light rain and threats of more, a little chilly for the first time this year. Perfect running conditions. The lake is full after recent rain, the threatening clouds kept other runners indoors, and the birds and other wildlife were also noticeable by their absence (no doubt also bunkering down). It all added up to running in perfect peace – quiet, comfortable, contented. Meditative, even. Very much in tune with nature, and invigorating at a much deeper level than just physically.

For me, sometimes the actual physical act of getting outside and exercising is worth it, regardless of any goals, dreams or outcomes I am trying to achieve. Sometimes it’s just great fun.

Self coaching may be confusing, it may be difficult and it may be frustrating, but sometimes I need to say - who cares, the exercise itself is simply fantastic. It’s the journey, not the destination that matters.

More later, journey on...
James




Word Count - 567

No comments:

Post a Comment