25 April 2010

Preparing for the Half Marathon in July

Written Sunday 11th April

There's only 84 days to the Gold Coast 1/2 Marathon so its time for me to get serious about my running. I'm back from holidays and so no more mucking around. Enough slacking James!!!! :-)

As of now, my head goes down, 'my bum goes up' and I start working consistently and determinedly towards my 2010 goals. I have to teach my body to run, or at least complete the 21kms in less than 3hours. My target is to finish in 2hours 15minutes (135 minutes). I reckon this is achievable but only if I use the my time wisely over the next 84 days.

While doing this I also need to maintain my bike fitness because I'm booked to complete the 'Around the Bay in A Day' 220km Bike Ride in October. I dont have to overly worry about this as I have a Big Bike Ride training camp scheduled for September but it needs to be in the back of my mind. I also need to continue to build my core body fitness and my overall strength to ensure I dont injure myself when training and competing.

I know I've written about this before, but its important to keep my goals and targets clearly in mind.I need improved aerobic fitness, strong running fitness, bike fitness and core strength. I need to balance my time and have strong motivation and mental strength while also not expecting too much from this old body.

Here's the training plan I will use to ensure I achieve them......

Monday- Rest morning, Gym Tri in afternoon (a 90 minutes circuit of rower, stationary bike, stepper.)
Tuesday- 5km Road Run in Morning, Boxercise or weight session in afternoon
Wednesday - 5km Road Run in Morning, Gym Tri in afternoon
Thursday- 5km Road Run, Weight session in afternoon
Friday - Day Off
Saturday - Long Hike in morning, easy aerobic session in afternoon
Sunday - Long Bike Ride in morning, weights in afternoon

Some thoughts.... This plan provides lots of opportunity for developing my aerobic and endurance capacity while also providing me with rest and variation. Its a tough schedule but answers all of the requirements. It doesn't take up a lot of time but it does deliver consistency to my life and my training.

Three points -
1. My travel schedule WILL mean I'll have to adjust the plan on a regular basis. No problems, like all plans its a guide to help me schedule my time and its subject to change.
2. The goal is to be ready for my target events, not to complete a training schedule. This means I will listen to my body and the demands of my life, and will be prepared to adjust as required.
3. It will be exciting but demanding. Any and all assistance from friends and family will be greatly appreciated and accepted.

One last comment- This plan means my weekends are going to be fantastic fun. Its when I get to spend whole days testing myself and my current fitness. It means long hikes and rides in new and current locations, and it means I can spend long hours learning to be a distance athlete. Works for me! I cant wait.

More later, jounrey on.....
James




Word Count- unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment