25 April 2010

A New Stargate Emerges from the Fog of Tiredness

Written Sunday 18th April 2010

In a previous post I compared 'getting fit' to the TV show 'Stargate'. Today I think my personal Stargate is back and I'm about to reach another 'Gate' to pass through....

It's been a long since I've been truly fit. As I age it's really really tough to get to a higher level of fitness. It seems I have to push myself hard for ages, then push myself even further to break through to this new level. But when I do, I feel different; stronger, more aware, bigger and better. I'm in a new world, a new perception. Just like the Stargate show - Go through the 'Stargate' and explore the new reality that now presents itself.

I mention this because I've had a huge week of training, I've pushed myself hard and I feel like I'm knocking on the door of a new level of fitness.

Actually, I really just feel incredibly tired but strangely I also have more zing than usual and I feel suprisingly energised. Contrary to what you'd expect, I'm looking forward to each training session with a high level of anticipation, I have lots of energy and determination and all this despite feeling very tired. It's a strange combination of weariness and power.

It has been a great week so I'm not surprised I'm tired. Last Saturday I did an early morning 12km run/walk, including running 3 minutes and walking 2 for an hour then power walking the rest of the distance home. I was really pleased with my effort as this is more consistent running than I've done in the past. In the afternoon, went to the gym and did 2/3rds of a GymTri- 30 minutes on the rower, 15 fast minutes on the stationary bike. All up, nearly 3 hours of aerobic exercise so a big day.

On Sunday, in place of the scheduled long ride I did a short and fast 80 minutes over 32kms for an average of 24.1kph then a weight session in the afternoon.

Monday was a good 5km road run in the morning and a Gym Tri session in the afternoon; easy paced 30 minutes on rower, 15 minutes on bike, 15 minutes on stepper. Yep, another good day of exercise over 120 or so minutes, now exhausted after three big days! :-)

On Tuesday, I did a quick 30 minutes on the treadmill in morning then my first 60 minute 'Boxercise' class in the afternoon. Didn't go flat out 'cause I wanted to see how the class works. The good news is my fitness is Ok and I'll be able to go much harder at future classes. Tell you what though - its a hard workout! And it was another 90 minute day of exercise all up.

Wednesday was a day off to complete some work stuff, then Thursday back into the 5km road run in the morning, travel to a remote W.Queensland minesite in the afternoon and a 30 minutes rower/bike session after dinner at the mine's superbly appointed gym. Say 90 minutes again, all up.

On Friday, I ran the 3.5kms from the minesite to the Permanent Camp wearing a 6.5km backpack then hit the gym for a short but hard GymTri. After dinner, did another 30 minutes on the traeadmill at 7.0kms speed with a short incline, just to finish off the day. 120 minutes all up.

On Saturday, after work at the mine, I did a hard and intense 40 minute weight session. And today, to finish the week, I ran the 3.5kms back to the camp (in early afternoon desert heat!!) then did another 35 minutes on the treadmill, again at 7kph with a 3 degree inclide, a total of more than 60 minutes of intense exercise in hard weather (after a full day's work)

So I'm putting in the hours and the intensity. I'm feeling great physically and mentally and I'm sure a new level of overall strength and fitness is not far away. Bring on the Stargate I say!!!.... but better hurry,before I kill myself hahaha

More later, journey on......
James




Word Count - 615

No comments:

Post a Comment