14 February 2010

Lessons on the Moutain Bike

Written Sunday 10th January.

A good bike ride this morning on the mountain bike. Rode a suburban/ part rural route via the Capalaba - Mt. Gravatt Rd and tried to ride up the long hills standing up (to keep a high average kph for the whole ride.) Unfortunately I still cant stand up for long but I was strong for a lot more of each hill than I expected. So I did Ok and was happy with the effort (for now!)

One weird thing happened; I was riding along in my own world, totally vagued out thinking about other things when some really good riders surprised me by riding fast past me. I realised I had started riding much slower than I expected. Ooops.

Did a fast ride back from Victoria Point to meet with friends for morning tea- amazed at how fast I could ride and it seems to me I never really know how much I can actually do - until I do it!

Lessons from today....

1. Learn to focus - dont vague out during the ride. Bike riding is not the time to be thinking of other things, it's a time for training, a time to focus on speed, power and technique.
2. Push myself harder but not too hard- Find out my limits while still staying within my base training program.

More later, journey on.

Word Count 225.

No comments:

Post a Comment