14 February 2010

Motivation overcomes Sore Back

Written 12th January 2010

Today I learnt about motivation, and how much more I have inside me than I realise. A sore back muscle caused me to cancel the scheduled weight session and yet I eventually replaced it with the strongest gym interval run so far - A fast speed (12kph) for 100 secs at a time (longest yet) for 50 minutes.

Yet really, it was all in my mind. Here's why....

While checking my emails I found an emailed training plan 'for beginnings' for the Gold Coast 1/2 marathon. The plan started today with a '20 minute run'. While I cant easily run 20 minutes at the moment I know I can currently walk/ run the half marathon distance in less than three hours which is the cut-off time. I now just have to increase my running time.

I had a good long think about my goals and I made a GOAL decision - I will complete the Gold Coast Marathon this year in a competitive time.

2 key points -
1. My goal is to finish not necessarily run the whole thing.
2. My objective is to experience my first distance running event - It's a another definate step on the way to a full marathon/ an ultra marathon / ironman triathlon

So this leads me to my thoughts about The Power of Motivation - On the strength and excitement of my decision I went to the gym, and with my back still sore I ran the long hard session. I finished with plenty in the tank, although hot and tired. There's four reasons I can think of for the good session-

1. I was motivated by my decision. Motivation is an amazing thing!
2. My training to date is starting to have a noticeable effect on my performance
3. During the session I listened to a podcast about running ultra-marathons and this added extra motivation.
4. I have power-walked the 1/2 marathon distance a couple of times now and this is great encouragement to keep getting better/ stronger. In my mind I KNOW I can do it

This session proves I can do more than I realise. Now i just need to find my true physical limits. I know I will be amazed, surprised and energised. I can hardly wait.

More later, journey on.

Word Count - 378

No comments:

Post a Comment