26 February 2010

Losing Weight and BRICK runs

Written 20 January 2010.

My new Paleo based Easting Plan is amazing, especially when combined with my high intensity training plan. The plan is about getting me eating as naturally as possible to give me the energy to achieve my goals. And it works. I feel energised, and the weight is falling off.

Paleo Diets are based on the food cavemen ate when they used to run down woolly mammoths. These days it includes no alcohol, very limited amounts of starch, avoiding anything that's not fresh, avoiding everything that has been processed. I get most of my carbs from fruit and veges, protein from natural resources (in the absence of woolly mammoths, meat and fish are OK!!) and I try to consume no more than 8,500kJs a day etc). In the last 2 weeks I've lost over 2.5kgs. I now weigh 93kgs which is the lightest I've been since 1991. And what's more- I'm now starting to believe I will actually get to my target weight of 83kgs. If I get to this weight I will have lost 25kgs! So far I've lost 15kgs, which is still fantastic.

The loss of the weight has made me realise I need to tighten up my muscles, not just because I will need the strength for the adventures and challenges ahead but also so that my physical image matches my mental picture. Move the flab to muscle, from fat and flabby to lean and mean! Alright! :-) I need to start strength training, and I think it needs to be both weights and swimming. Somehow I now need to include these into my weekly training plan. (Swimming can wait until I've got some strength from weight training - and some money to pay for a swim coach)

BRICK RUNS.

Another thing. To ensure I am getting ready for distance events and other endurance adventures, I've decided to change my fast bike rides into 'brick' runs i.e. immediately after the ride, go for a run. Bike rides are now Bike AND Run!

I started today. After a really strong bike ride (average 25kph over 30 minutes) I changed my bike shirt to a run shirt and walked the hills. No running, and my legs felt sore but its a good start.

I'm looking forward to these BRICK runs. They will teach my body to respond quickly and effortlessly to TRI transitions and also to other types of muscle confusing exercises. I reckon they will also make me incredibly strong!

More later, journey on....

Word count - 409

No comments:

Post a Comment