05 February 2010

Managing Food Intake while travelling

My first week on the road since starting my food/ fuel regime has shown me how much I have to learn about travel and food.

After 4 weeks of eating at home and learning how to get the balance right each day I got it totally wrong over the last three days. I did everything wrong - ate irregularly, ate too smaller meals then overcompensated with large meals, bought junk like sugary lollies to feed my late afternoon hunger AND – hang my head in shame – succumbed to a MacDonald’s burger meal today on the way home (a 3 hour drive. The only good thing is I didn’t exceed my overall daily kilojoule target. Stuffed up the balance (fat content, protein balance, bad sugars, eating times etc) but my daily exercise sessions combined with the overall daily kJ probably means I haven’t put on any weight and may have even lost a little.

But all that does is show me how much I need to do to work out my food regime while away from home. Here’s a few things to start –
1. Take breakfast with me on the road – I already know it’s a good start to the day so I should take it with me. (Buy tubs of yoghurt and fruit each day. Also take a bowl and spoon from home)
2. Find good, healthy snacks to take in a container on the road – nuts, seeds etc like now but also add dried fruit for my sweet tooth
3. Ensure I eat regularly (constantly) throughout the day - especially fruit, nuts and trail bars. Avoid peaks and troughs of hunger.
4. Choose dinner carefully – big steaks are OK but watch the watery veges and the chips/ potato bake.
5. Plan meals as much as I can before going on the road, then get my head right as to my commitments to fuelling and to weight.
6. Take the small food scales, my daily food log, the Calorie Counter and a calculator.
7. Remind myself fuel is as important as exercise and rest

So it’s been an interesting week. I’ve made lots of mistakes and realised I have a lot to learn. Pleasingly, I’m looking forward to working it out.

More later.... journey on!


Word Count - 374

No comments:

Post a Comment