02 March 2010

More insights into the mind of an Endurance Athlete during ½ marathon hike

Written 23rd January 2010

Today I power-walked/ ran 21kms, the distance of a ½ marathon. Left home on a hot summer’s morning @ 5.30am to beat the heat and completed the course in a non-stop time of 2hrs 58mins, a very pleasing average of 7kph. I went from my home to Cleveland Point and back – an out-and- back, mainly flat course.

My goals for the sessions were –
1. Continue to prepare my body for 3 hours continuous exercise
2. Convince myself I could complete a half-marathon within the required time by power-walking (as my fall-back position during this year’s ½ marathon)
3. Get a starting point for my marathon training.

I achieved my goals and I was very happy with the outcome. I ran 5 minutes each ½ hour then walked the rest. Pace was up and down but this will improve as fitness increases. I’m also pleased how well the body pulled up – no problems at all! (note –very tired the next day after a hard week of continuous training)

The big lesson I learnt from this activity was once again about the mind- what some people say is the most important muscle. And I agree!.

So what did I learn?

Well firstly, everything is relative. When I first walked to Cleveland Pt it was a really long way. Now, after hiking 46kms twice recently, 21ks is just a training run. Lesson – To put distances into perspective, train for higher kilometres than the event; Convince the mind the distance is not an issue.

Secondly, pain is largely in the mind. During the run my knee hurt and, interestingly, for the first time ever, the pads on my feet hurt.( I guess this will happen as I run more Ks). I also felt very tired during the second hour. Yet when it was all over, my knees and pads felt fine and my body was not overly tired. So despite what my mind was telling me during the session, I had plenty left within me. Lesson – don’t listen to the mind when it tells me of minor irritations and discomforts or when it presents excuses disguised as pain. I should however, be aware of real pain. I think it’s a case of listening to my body and understand what it’s telling me.... and NOT listening to the bad voices in my head.

So today was a good day - some good lessons learnt, and one very pleasing training outcome achieved. I am happy.

More later, journey on.....
James




Word count - 432

No comments:

Post a Comment