14 March 2010

Struggling to get my weight down

Written 16th February 2010

One area that still needs work is my Diet and Daily ‘Fuel’ Intake. Today was my usual weigh-in day and the result was not good – I’ve put on 0.4kg in a week. Admittedly it was the Easy Week but it’s still annoying. It is taking forever to get my weight down to the target 83kgs even though I’m sure my overall plan is working. With a week of home cooking and lots of exercise I’m sure I will lose the extra weight this week.

But I think I need to be a bit smarter about it all. In particular, I need to think about ‘Cause and Effect’. Lots of issues come to mind but one that highlights what I am talking about is; what effect does my lunch consumption have on my day. i.e. what am I doing at lunch (cause) that results in me being so hungry at 4pm (effect). Am I not eating enough at lunch or am I eating the wrong stuff? So I need to not only think about what I am eating at 4pm but also at 12.00. And this Cause and Effect thinking is a key part of every meal. Is my overall eating plan ‘adding up’ to success throughout the whole day. I don’t know the answer but it is something to think about and resolve.

A couple of high level thoughts that I need to remember –
• Weight loss comes from daily calories expended exceeding calories consumed.
• Protein fills you up
• Good Carbs give you energy
• Avoid empty calories
• Delete trans fats from the diet totally
• Small portion sizes, regularly consumed is the key

Perhaps lunch should contain more protein and a whole heap of salad or veges. Maybe I need more of a ‘meal’ at lunchtime? Certainly all exercise sessions should be high energy to consume calories.

As I say, something to think about. A lunch meal is worth a try, I think.

My main approach to food remains ‘Paleo’ – Raw and Small. (Raw means close to the source i.e. very little processing between the food growing and being consumed. It doesn’t mean it can’t be cooked!!).

More later, journey on...
James




Word Count - 360

No comments:

Post a Comment