13 March 2010

Thoughts on Motivation and Physical Strength

Written 14th February 2010

What an usual week; It was an 'Easy Week' of exercise; I prepared for and participated in an important work-related phone interview for a potential large contract that will be life-altering if I get it; and we had a wonderfully relaxing surfing weekend away. Certainly a different week from normal.

Anyway, it all combined to give me plenty of time to reflect on the journey so far. And I can tell you - It's been a rollercoaster ride.

With no training to eat up the daily hours, I started the week by driving to the Mt Coot-tha Lookout overlooking Brisbane to suss out the upcoming Mt Coot-tha Bike Ride, an 80km bike ride around-the-city including a 2.3km 9% timed climb up to the Lookout and down again. It's a steep climb and it was quite depressing to realise how far my fitness still has to go. I saw lots of riders struggling on the way up (but getting there!) and a few coming down looking very much like 'real' bike riders. I doubt I could do it and that shocked me- I felt shattered to realise how far I have to go before I am at a starting point of endurance riding and other such events. All sorts of people ride and run this hill and I am a long way behind them; and that's after three months of consistent training. Bugger!

On the good side, our weekend surfing showed me how much fitter I have become. And when I weighed myself, I had lost more weight. All good.

Also on the positive side my motivation is high and I am committed to my goals. I have stuck to my new eating plan, I have trained consistently and I have worked hard ; All things to celebrate. I have to remember the small steps forward that I take and celebrate the small wins. I also have to realise my age, and my former life stlye are issues that will take time to overcome.

So, a roller coaster ride of emotions. On reflection, it's a straight forward case of being a long way from 'fit and strong' but closer than I was a month ago. So I need to maintain a positive attitude. As the Buddha says, a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.

This week its back to training so more 'small steps' each day/ session. I must stay positive, and believe all these small steps will eventually add up to a strong starting point for becoming an endurance athlete. I just need to be patient. And consistent.

Overall, when you add it all up, it's all good.

More later, journey on.....
James




Word Count - 395

No comments:

Post a Comment