14 March 2010

Weight Training Plan starts to show results

Written 16th February 2010

My new weight training regime is working well. Initially I was doing low weights and high reps with the goal of just getting my body used to the resistance training. Now I’ve moved into a more ‘Body for Life’ process –

• a warm up set of reasonable weight 12-15 reps
• a middle set of high weights 8-12 reps at maximum effort then
• a third set of a weight that is currently too heavy- its my aspirational set, designed to shock my muscles into growth. This last set is often only a couple of reps or even ½ reps but involves an all out ‘exhausting’ effort. It feels great every time!

I’ve been increasing the weights for each set quite quickly over the last few weeks and it’s starting to show results, on paper and when I look in the mirror.

The other thing is I’ve been nice to myself. My commitment to my Weight Training program is to go and do a session even if I don’t feel like it. I’ve written previously that I will do a set even if it’s not a hard one – If I’m tired and unmotivated, I do an easy session just so I stick to my commitment.

This is working- I’ve completed my sessions regularly and even the ones where I don’t feel like doing them usually ends up being a good session once I start. Once I get into it, it feels a bit silly to waste my time on a soft session so I generally end up going quite hard.

I’m sure it will be a while before I start seeing really good results from my weight training, but I’ve started – and I’m pleased.

More later, journey on...
James

Word Count - 284

No comments:

Post a Comment