11 March 2010

Training for the 1/2 Marathon in July

Written 7th February 2010

A key goal this year is to complete a half marathon. The cut off time for the 21kms is 3 hours. This is good news because I’ve walked this distance many times in around 3 hours so I am sure I can complete the challenge by fast-walking. But that’s not good enough- I have to train myself to run it.

I’ll have to do it in an organised way, and to build up slow and steady yet deliberately. My plan will have me peaking at just the right time for the Gold Coast Half Marathon in July. Like I did with the bike, I will have to run and walk lots of miles and be looking for constant improvement- consistent, constant improvement, patience but always pushing forward.

I have to be careful of my damaged knee so I think the gym is the best place to start. Hard fast bike riding will also help my breathing and my endurance. And the cross- trainer will take my legs and my lungs to new levels. I also need to add progressively longer road runs to my schedule.

This is not all. My other goals for this year include the 220km bike ride ‘Around in the Bay in a Day’ and a short triathlon in the Spring or Summer. So I need to do run training while still maintaining/ improving my bike fitness and also working on strengthening my core. Talk about the time management issues of distance athletes!

According to Triathlon and Cycling magazines and books, the fitness required for these goals is varied. Triathletes need aerobic endurance, explosive power (to respond to the needs of steep hills, normal demands of racing, big finishes etc) and core body strength. Also needed, especially for the long endurance events, is good body balance and coordination. And it’s important to think about the areas of the body that are most prone to injury during endurance training and events. These areas need to be strengthened not only to improve performance but also to minimise the risk of injury. This includes the core body, the back and the key muscles involved in running, swimming and cycling.

So I have to balance a whole range of training requirements – weights, fast bike, long bike, interval and fartlek runs, long hikes, Step Machine, Rest and Recovery and Diet. Quite a challenge.

Here’s my initial plan for managing all these requirements. As much as possible, I will train twice a day, with a day off on Fridays. I will also continue to work on losing the extra kilos I am carrying by aiming for a daily maximum of 8,500kilojules intake against two hours of hard exercise.

Mon – Fast Bike/ BRICK in morning then Weights in afternoon
Tues – Interval Run on treadmill in morning then Hills or cross trainer in afternoon
Wed – Long Bike then Weights in afternoon
Thurs – Interval Run and cross trainer in afternoon
Fri – Rest Day
Sat- Long Hike
Sun - Long Bike (or race where possible), Weights in afternoon

What a good plan.

More later, journey on...
James




Word Count - 500

No comments:

Post a Comment