11 March 2010

A Weekend Away during Easy Week


Written 13th February 2010

My wife Shirl and I are in Caloundra, staying at a flat overlooking the surf beach, and we are having a ball. It’s been a great day.

We got up earlyish- about 6.00 – and took a long walk along the coast as the sun came up along Kings Beach. Took some photos, had a chat and a nice time. Afterwards had a body surf (sore arms after yesterday’s surf) then enjoyed a coffee at Happy Valley that seemed to me at the time to be the best coffee I’d ever tasted. We watched the surf, the boats and the early morning crowd while lazing over our brilliant coffees. OK, so perhaps I was just in a ridiculously good mood but who cares. It was a good coffee and a spectacular start to the day.

The day didn’t stop there....Back to the flat for a quick shower then down to the Kings Beach for an awesome breakfast of corn fritters, green tomatoes and creme freche. Yum. Brilliant. RAving about how good it is... Obviously still in a great mood but it does raise the question- Why is a damn good breakfast so rare??

Another long surf after brekkie, including catching some surprisingly good waves (for someone who hasn’t surfed for over a decade!) and showing off to Shirl who spent most of the time sitting on the beach, doing her 'beach babe' thing. It was good to realise how much fitter I am now. I still need more strength in my arms and my overall aerobic fitness needs more work but there’s no doubt I am fitter than before.

Another great meal for lunch, this time in the town square helped the day just get better – Fresh made tuna burger with fresh salad and a ice-cold Berry Smoothie, some easy company an a relaxed read of the local paper was great preperation for a lazy snooze back at the flat.

In the afternoon I went for a long easy walk along the riverfront and enjoyed the laid back coastal ambience and the spectacular views of the river and the mountains (it really is a gorgeous place) while cruising to some Marley regaggae on the i-pod. Everything was just great. I occasionally thought happily of my last few weeks of training and what I had achieved. The whole walk was relaxing and frankly, invigorating. Certainly a nice change from the usual long Saturday bike ride.

Sunset drinks on the balcony overlooking the surf, a walk along the beachfront and a chinese meal of Schezuan Prawns, Scallops, Pork Ribs and Duck for Chinese New Year 2010. I even broke the drought and had a few beers and a couple of glasses of wine. The company was great- our friends talked about their trip through China in the early ‘90s and made us laugh.

It was a wonderful night to finish off a great day of relaxing during my Easy Week. Best of all I lived the ‘Easy Week’ dream and this made me feel good about myself and my achievements to date– some good food but not too much, a lot of enjoyable and not taxing cross-training, a heap of relaxation and a bit of celebration. It seemed like just rewards for the hard work of recent weeks.

I reckon I should do more of this! Can’t wait for tomorrow.

More later, journey on
James



Word Count - 517

No comments:

Post a Comment