02 March 2010

Negative Splits on the bike/ The BRICKS continue

Written 22nd January 2010

A good, short yet fast road bike ride this morning, followed by a run. The ride was 30 minutes with the first 20 minutes very fast. At one stage my average was above 27kph and I had visions of finally getting to an average of 30kph one day. Rode hard around Wello Point and along the waterfront until just around the bend on the Keys, had a short breather up to ‘Woolies’, then home. Eventual average for the short course was a Personal Best of 25.8kph over 31 minutes.

A good place to start working on my overall average. One thing I need to do is think about ‘negative splits’. This is when the second half of the ride is faster than the first half. I also need to ride fast for 90 minutes, not just 31 minutes. Both issues are fitness related and will come in time if I continue to push myself hard over these short rides.

So from now on, for the fast bike session/ BRICK sessions I will leave nothing in ‘the tank’. Exhaust myself, to build speed and distance.

For the Fast Rides it will now always be a simple case of ‘Go hard, or go home!’

After the bike ride I made a quick transition to a new shirt, no cycling nixs and the right shoes then out the door to do the 4 Hills. This was great – ran freely off the bike for 2 minutes then power walked for 27 minutes (including bounding up the hills) then ran the 5 minutes to home. How powerful is that! Awesome effort, felt great!!

What’s more, another practice run of a BRICK session. A very powerful day although tired afterwards. An hour of high energy, sport–specific training. Good!

More later, journey on.....

James




Word Count - 287

No comments:

Post a Comment