04 March 2010

Updated Training Plan 28 Jan 10

Written 28th January 2010

It started in January, and stopped in March! I was so inspired by my efforts in last year’s 100km Brisbane to the Gold Coast bike ride I started to put long ks on the bike to prepare for the annual 100km Glen Innes Mountain Sportif . Now that it’s less than a month away I know I have not done enough hill work to do it justice. So I’ve decided to forget it for now. Maybe next year.

Actually I think this is good because I am starting to worry I am not putting enough in to prepare myself for my major goal of the Gold Coast Half Marathon in July. I am still recovering from last year’s knee disaster so the truth of the matter is I am less ‘run-fit’ than this time last year. I can hike a long way but running is both slow and short.

What to do? Well firstly, I can’t lose what I’ve gained. I need to maintain my bike fitness by continuing the twice-a-week 90 minute fast ride/ BRICK sessions designed to improve my average kph. The numbers are straight forward – If I can average 30kph I will ride about 45kms in 90 minutes. I also need to continue to put plenty of long Ks in each week so I’ll have to put at least one long ride each week.

But I need to do more than just work at improving my bike average and logging long rides. I have to start putting some serious work into my running fitness, and I need to prepare my total body for the stresses I will be subjecting them to.

This can’t be a ‘hope and pray’ plan. I need to ensure I have specific targets that provide the base for the long term journey. Not sure what the targets are yet but these are the areas involved –

1. Bike riding - base training for ‘Around the Bay in a Day’ and future Triathlons. Maybe find another bike ride locally to complete and train towards it.
2. Weights – build an overall strong body using the ‘Body for Life’ system to guard against injury and to prepare for future swimming and kayaking requirements.
3. ½ Marathon Running – build leg strength, aerobic endurance, distance running technique. Again, maybe find a couple of local runs to complete – perhaps 10kers or something.

Every training session will have to address at least one of these issues. As well, I need to develop clear goals and a specific training plan.

The one question that remains is – how will the knee hold up?

Lots to think about.

More later, journey on....
James




Word Count - 464

No comments:

Post a Comment